- What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is exchanged between the web browser and the web server. Cookies are stored on the (end) device of the website user. For example, these small files store basic information such as user preferences. The cookies are then sent back to the original website each time they visit. Cookies are useful because the website can use them to recognize the user’s browser or device over a period of time.
Most cookies contain a so-called cookie ID. This is a string that maps web pages and servers to the browser where the cookie is stored. This allows the web pages and servers to differentiate the browser from browsers to other cookies, and each browser can be identified by the unique cookie ID. This is solely for the unique identification of a web browser on a particular device and not for the identification of a person.
There are three categories of cookies:
- absolutely necessary cookies to ensure basic functions of the website
- functional cookies to ensure the performance of the website and
- targeted cookies to enhance the user experience.
- How are cookies used for Arca JHB Services?
To use the Arca JHB service four types of cookies are used:
- Session cookies (session):These are only temporarily stored during a browser session and deleted from your devices when the browser is closed.
- Persistent cookies (Persistent):These are stored on your computer or device for a predefined amount of time, regardless of when the browser is closed.
- First Party Cookies (First Party):These are set by the Arca JHB website and are only read by this website. (For example, if you receive cookies from our website, they can only be recognized by our website).
By using cookies we can count the visitors on a certain page of our website.
You may decide at any time to refuse the use of our cookies or external third-party cookies by adjusting the cookie settings accordingly. The instructions for this can be found later in this policy.